Overpulls was Re: Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:42:34 EDT

Alan writes:
<< When I use the ETD, my pukingly persistent predeliction for perfectionism
takes over and I just have to stop the lights. So for the example given, where
accuracy isn't the issue, but speed is, I can go faster just setting a rough
temperament, then octaves up and down using only fifths as checks (double
octaves or arpeggiated chords in the upper treble).  >>

Greetings,

       I too suffered from this when I began using the SAT, however, I found
the way to finer tunings was to let  the machine to do all the "tractor" work
in a first pass, and then just be a guide on your final tuning.
     Stopping the lights on a pitch raise is like using a micrometer to hang
picture frames.  I find no need to be that accurate at that stage.  AND,  if
you will just "get near" from A0-88, resetting the pitch raise function each
octave,  you will have a well balanced, albeit out of tune, piano, ready to be
fine tuned with little fear of octaves drifting behind you make the tuning pass
with most of your attention on unisons.  I often do a 15 minute, 20 cent
pitch raise, and tunings will usually exhibit surprising stability.
     I found the key to getting my speed up was to allow myself one downward
tuning movement per pin on a pitch raise.  After bumping the rust loose and
pulling the string sharp, I watch the lights while dropping the pitch.  When the
lights stop, I stop. They will sometimes then move back sharp, so on the next
pin, I go a little flatter. It is easy, over the course of 5 or 10 pins, to
have left an average that is extremely close to what you would have had if
every light had been stopped.  This is the place for looseness and speed.
    With only one movement per pin my brained learned the pattern, and how
much "windage" was required to leave that note almost still.  I had to
continually remind myself, at first,  to just make the move and go on to the next, but
usually one piano is enough.  If I forget and begin to go back and forth, I am
just trying to tune fast and the whole purpose of a fast, 15 minute fix for
flatness is wasted.
      Once mastered, I found it a speedy tool when flat pianos are
encountered.  It lets me put a very close tuning on anything if I have 80 minutes or so.
 Another plus for this method is that it allows all the pins to be "set", as
you go, so if on the final pass, the string is right, you can wiggle the pin,
test-note it, and go on.
       I also use the pitch raise calculator when I am doing a one pass
tuning and the pitch is off by more than one cent.  Hey, I don't know if anybody
could really discern the few tenths of a cent that might alter an uncorrected
tuning, but I paid for them features and I am too much of a tightwad to let them
go to waste.
Regards

Ed Foote RPT