Overpulls was Re: Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:13:55 -0700

From: A440A@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Overpulls was Re: Best Tuning Strategy using SAT III

>Alan writes:
><< When I use the ETD, my pukingly persistent predeliction for perfectionism
>takes over and I just have to stop the lights. So for the example given, where
>accuracy isn't the issue, but speed is, I can go faster just setting a rough
>temperament, then octaves up and down using only fifths as checks (double
>octaves or arpeggiated chords in the upper treble).  >>

>Greetings,

>       I too suffered from this when I began using the SAT, however, I found
>the way to finer tunings was to let  the machine to do all the "tractor" work
>in a first pass, and then just be a guide on your final tuning.
>     Stopping the lights on a pitch raise is like using a micrometer to hang
>picture frames.  I find no need to be that accurate at that stage.  AND,  if
>you will just "get near" from A0-88, resetting the pitch raise function each
>octave,  you will have a well balanced, albeit out of tune, piano, ready to be
>fine tuned with little fear of octaves drifting behind you make the tuning pass
>with most of your attention on unisons.  I often do a 15 minute, 20 cent
>pitch raise, and tunings will usually exhibit surprising stability.

I'm not clear on this technique below?   I also bump the pitch down to loosen any rust etc. but what is watching the lights while dropping the pitch mean?   If your SAT is set for that note you are tuning won't the lights continue to rotate as you go down?   Maybe it's Monday...I don't know...

David I.