angled heels vs. straight

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:00:15 -0500

Hello,

It's time for me to learn some more.  The patient is a 1920s Steinway B =
with a Teflon action.  (Guess we know when it was rebuilt.) I took a =
quick look (no time to test parts today) and saw that it had angled =
capstans.  These weren't the old style of capstan, which I have =
(mistakenly or not) associated with older Steinways. =20

Please enlighten me on the advantages or disadvantages or whatever of =
each type of heel.  Does one ever change from angled to flat?  Is it =
possible, is it desirable?  =20

Thanks,

Barbara (I'll get it eventually) Richmond, RPT