angled heels vs. straight

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:30:25 -0700

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Barbara Richmond
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 5:00 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: angled heels vs. straight

=20

Hello,

=20

It's time for me to learn some more.  The patient is a 1920s Steinway B =
with
a Teflon action.  (Guess we know when it was rebuilt.) I took a quick =
look
(no time to test parts today) and saw that it had angled capstans.  =
These
weren't the old style of capstan, which I have (mistakenly or not)
associated with older Steinways. =20

=20

Please enlighten me on the advantages or disadvantages or whatever of =
each
type of heel.  Does one ever change from angled to flat?  Is it =
possible, is
it desirable?  =20

=20

Thanks,

=20

Barbara (I'll get it eventually) Richmond, RPT

=20

=20