Mother goose string leveler

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:24:16 -0700

I've got it but admit I haven't been using it like I should...thanks fo=
r reminder.
David I.

Original message
From: Erwinspiano@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Mother goose string leveler

 To all level headed tech's
 I have been using Joe's slick little tool for a while now & It has tak=
en the archaic out of the mundane job of string leveling. It tells an a=
ccurate story right off the git go. However it's wise to see if the  ke=
ybed/piano are truly level first & if not get them into compliance. I u=
se a long aluminum  bubble level when in shop. In the field a put the g=
auge on the stretcher or keybed as quick references.
 I've noticed it is important to put the device as close to the strikin=
g spot on the string for accuracy as  it is level strings at the hammer=
 strike point I want. It's also important to make sure it sits squarely=
 on the unison & not sitting off to one side or the other as the weight=
 of the gauge will depress a string to sit lower due to its own weight =
giving a false reading.
  I usually place the gauge on the unison & lift the lowest outside str=
ing  string first then the other outside string then the middle till th=
e bubble in the gauge centers. Then work in the middle one. With this g=
auge It's real obvious when the middle string is to high as gauge kind =
of quivers for a lengthy period of time ,rocking on the high middle str=
ing.
 Although my finger & eyes are quit good at roughing things in  the fin=
e stuff is  way easier to dial in with the gauge. It doesn't lie or giv=
e subjective readings.
  It's fun  Joe thanks. Anybody else discover this little Jem?
 Dale Erwin

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357