David Ilvedson/SAT Tuning Test Scores

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:07:31 -0700

That's interesting because I tune with an SAT and there are times when =
the
FAC numbers do not produce a particularly good tuning in certain =
sections on
certain pianos.  The temperament is usually fine, but leaving the center
octave, things can get strange.  For example, I tuned an S&S D a couple =
of
days ago.  The FAC readings were something like 7.9, 9.9, 7.2.  The =
upper
middle of the piano had very audible beats in the octaves, quite =
disturbing
really.  Can't imagine that there wouldn't have been some deduction =
there.
I couldn't really use the FAC numbers and feel good about what it =
produced.
I did check the measurements on different strings on and around the =
target
notes.  I ended up using a default 8/7/6 setting and stretched the whole
thing using the DOB and used that as a guideline.  It actually worked =
pretty
well, though I did the tuning largely aurally with the SAT as a guide.
Moreover, I thought that while an FAC reading was taken initially on a =
test
piano, a master tuning was created by consensus altering the tuning as
needed.  So, while I would expect that an SAT tuning might very well =
produce
a passing score, that it would always produce a 100% score surprises me. =
=20

=20

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20