President's message

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:56:35 -0700

At 12:21 PM 9/13/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>Susan,
>
>Just so I understand:   Your concert tuning service includes the
>following:  Tuning before rehearsal, after rehearsal, mid concert
>touchup...on call during the performance.?   Please tell you're being paid
>for all this time?
>
>David Ilvedson

That's just the way I've always done it. A lot of my concert tuning is done
on the Oregon Coast, an hour from home. I like to hear the concerts anyway,
and in case anything were to go  wrong (admittedly unlikely), the nearest
other concert tuner is two hours away. So I stay, and as long as I'm there,
anyway, why not preen it? I do charge more on the coast than at home,
because of the driving time. Sometimes the tuning is after the rehearsal,
depending on when the artists want to rehearse. The piano is never too bad
to begin with, because it gets done often enough.

I do the touchups as I feel the need -- it isn't "required". If I have any
doubts about how it's doing, I'll go up at intermission and see, though
often I just check and don't change anything, or tweak just a note or two.
And I decide whether or not to stay for the performance. I almost always
do, unless I have some sort of conflict, but it's not promised.

By the way, people on the list sometimes make a big deal of advertising and
getting a "select"  clientele -- no better way than to be seen on stage
checking a tuning at intermission, and it's scot free.

P.S. I suspect that when I retire, I may be a hard act to follow -- What??
A "service person" who provides _service_?? -- not my worry!