New Tuning Hammer

Robin Stevens pianoman@westnet.com.au
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:00:46 +0930 (Cen. Australia Standard Time)

 John...Hate to burst your bubble..but if you are, or, planning to be a
professional piano tuner you will need more than one tuning hammer.=0D
=0D
I have a heavy Watanabe with five tip sizes for new pianos, and pianos wi=
th
VERY tight pins. A homemade hammer with four inter changeable Fletcher &
Newman tips for the "ever day" tuning. A smaller light Fletcher & Newman
with a #2 tip for old Under and Overdamper German pianos that don't need =
heavy Hammer, and a Hammer especially for Australian Beales with a square
insert. =0D
=0D
But, I'm still wondering how the impact hammer doesn't play hell with you=
tennis elbow. After tuning a 1865 Broadwood with oblong pins using a heav=
old T hammer last month (actually used by the old tuners as a tuning hamm=
er
and a hammer for knocking in pins") my elbow developed that dreaded Tenni=
elbow symptom which took weeks to go away... sheeesh!!=0D
=0D
I suppose the bottom line is to buy one with interchangeable tips. =0D
=0D
Regards=0D
Robin Stevens ARPT=0D
South Australia   =0D