New Tuning Hammer

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:14:05 +0100

Hello Robin, John and Listers

I use the F&N heads (8 of them) on my S&S extendible style handle for
uprights. For grands I use the 'T' hammer with star hole. If I come across
an old oblong upright - I use the 'T' hammer oblong I was given by an old,
very old, ex-Broadwood techie. For Uprights? Yes, Uprights. I was in Harrods
piano Dept. one day and there was this blind tuner using a 'T' hammer on
both Upts & grands. I have a collection of other levers including an old
Reynolds I always carry around. But I've never used an oblong lever even
though I have one - a case of once tried soonest dropped - there's too few
positions you can use on an oblong pin - both at 180deg. To each other.

Regards

Michael G.(UK)

  _____

From: Robin Stevens [mailto:pianoman@westnet.com.au]
Sent: 13 September 2005 22:31
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: New Tuning Hammer

 John...Hate to burst your bubble..but if you are, or, planning to be a
professional piano tuner you will need more than one tuning hammer.

I have a heavy Watanabe with five tip sizes for new pianos, and pianos with
VERY tight pins. A homemade hammer with four inter changeable Fletcher &
Newman tips for the "ever day" tuning. A smaller light Fletcher & Newman
with a #2 tip for old Under and Overdamper German pianos that don't need a
heavy Hammer, and a Hammer especially for Australian Beales with a square
insert.

But, I'm still wondering how the impact hammer doesn't play hell with your
tennis elbow. After tuning a 1865 Broadwood with oblong pins using a heavy
old T hammer last month (actually used by the old tuners as a tuning hammer
and a hammer for knocking in pins") my elbow developed that dreaded Tennis
elbow symptom which took weeks to go away... sheeesh!!

I suppose the bottom line is to buy one with interchangeable tips.

Regards

Robin Stevens ARPT

South Australia