New Tuning Hammer

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:08:10 -0700

At 07:14 AM 9/14/2005 +0100, you wrote:
>there=92s too few positions you can use on an oblong pin =96 both at=
 180deg.=20
>To each other.

Hello, Michael.

I have a system for dealing with the oblong pins, though it's been awhile
since I agreed to tune a square. They are awfully hard on one's back.

The supply houses (at least over here) have a little extender to use when
grand struts are too tall for your normal lever and tip to reach the first
row of pins. One end looks like a tuning pin top, and the other is threaded=
accept a normal tuning tip.

I just put my oblong tuning tip on it. Then when tuning a square, I just
pick it up, and move it by hand to the next tuning pin. Since the top is
square like a normal tuning pin, my ordinary tuning hammer, with all 8
positions available due to the star tip, will fit over it at whatever
angle I choose. It is all a little bit tippy, but it does work.

It lives in the flannel bag with my tip wrench and other tuning tips --
you know, the bag which should live in the car, but which I use to
hold my kit down in case of hurricanes.

Susan