Repinning....Can I pullease get more responses?

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:40:28 -0500

Matthew,

As I said before, I'd repin in this situation.  I would also opt for taking
it to the shop - depending on what kind of drive time you would face.  It
certainly could be done in the home, but my experience is that these things
often take more time than you expect, and further, especially as you are
getting the hang of the procedure, it might be nice to not have the client
looking over your shoulder.

I'd check each flange, repinning to get each one at a consistent swing
number.  I know some techs will opt for obtaining a specific level of
friction (6 grams, 7 grams, graduating, etc.).  I don't know that either
method is superior to the other provided you understand the process and what
each is telling you - e.g. 7 swings on a bass hammer will have more friction
at the pinning than 7 swings on a treble hammer - all other things being
equal.

What is the make of the piano BTW?  Curiosity..........

Respectfully,
William R. Monroe