Repinning....Can I pullease get more responses?

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:31:39 -0500

I also encountered this on a K&C made by Samick, the tiny 4'7" model. I
had to repin virtually every jack center. The factory paid for it.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 12:30 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Repinning....Can I pullease get more responses?

Matthew,

Just a hunch....

I work on a Samick SG 150.  I'd be willing to bet that your Shafer is a
Samick-made product.  But if yours is a 1968, it predates mine by 30
years.

I ran into a similar problem.  Make sure you look closely at where the
problem lies.  I  found that a good many wippen, jack, repetition, and
hammer centers were essentially seized up  .  A couple of underlever
flanges were sluggish, too.  I have probably replaced 1/3-1/2 the center
pins in the piano in the last 3 appointments.

When you start removing center pins, you may discover that there is
dark, sort of gooey stuff on them.  If that is the case, I believe it is
graphite from graphite impregnated flange bushing cloth.  (My fear is
that I will go back one time and find that the replaced pins will start
seizing, too).

The piano that I work on suffers from sitting in a picture window and
getting extreme doses of sunlight in the winter months.  I am not
certain that heat exacerbates the condition, but it seems to get worse
when the sun hits piano squarely.

Be patient, work slowly until you get the hang of it.  I find it a nice
break from tuning--for the first couple of hours, at least!

I have had more than one 4 hour session in the customer's home.  It
saves you drive time if you can do it there.  Having a stand or platform
of some kind for the action is essential.

Good luck!

Dave Stahl

In a message dated 9/13/2005 7:38:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,