Untuning a M&H

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:48:34 -0700

Actually that may have been the factory stringing..."Made In America By=
 American Craftsman"   Aeolian....
David I.

Original message
From: "Dave Davis"
To: Pianotech
Subject: Untuning a M&H

Hi Gang,

Today I tuned a mid-70's Mason & Hamlin BB at a church. Several years a=
go (before my time...) this piano wouldn't stay in tune, so the church =
replaced it, and retired it to a multi-purpose room. I got to chatting =
with the sound-guy who told me that a former tuner told them it wouldn'=
t stay in tune because it is mounted on a grand dolly, and that since M=
ason and Hamliin's have that "star system" (tension resonator), every t=
ime they move the piano, it torques the whole rim and puts it out of tu=
ne.

Sounds logical, right?

Dave Davis, RPT

p.s. I wonder if the poor re-string job complete with loose coils and s=
trings riding up on the hitch pins a mm or two, and string rendering pr=
oblems would have any effect on tuning.  Hmmmmm.