Mother goose string leveler

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:24:24 -0600

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

>  To all level headed tech's
>  I have been using Joe's slick little tool for a while now & It has
> taken the archaic out of the mundane job of string leveling. It tells
> an accurate story right off the git go. However it's wise to see if
> the  keybed/piano are truly level first & if not get them into
> compliance. I use a long aluminum  bubble level when in shop. In the
> field a put the gauge on the stretcher or keybed as quick references.

    But even if the stretcher and keybed are level, isn't it possible
that in some pianos, the whole plate could be mounted in the piano with
a slight tilt, depending on how they determined its correct placement
relative to the bridge for proper downbearing?   Maybe this would happen
only in cheaper pianos -- I don't know, having never checked.  But the
main thing is that the plane of the strings in each agraffe has to be
parallel to the crowns of the hammers, and if the plate has any tilt to
it, you'd end up pulling a left unison string up and pushing a right one
down, or vice versa.  --David Nereson, RPT