Mother goose string leveler

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:39:41 -0400

David, while your piano/plate level concept has merit in theory, I'm not so
sure it stands up in the real world.

You suggest that a tilted plate might occur in cheaper pianos as an artifact
of determining "its correct placement relative to the bridge for proper
downbearing". I would suggest that "correct placement relative to the bridge
for proper downbearing" often doesn't occur even in many better pianos - let
alone cheaper pianos!

But your point is well taken and a good one. Perhaps Joe's little string
leveler should first be placed on the agraffes themselves. 'Course that
assumes the vertical position of the agraffe holes are on a line parallel to
the agraffe top (too big an assumption?). Or maybe piano level should be
determined by the keybed (rear of the keybed - I guess I would hope it
wouldn't make too much difference where measured on keybed) - that way
hammers would be hitting string plane that is perpendicular to hammer
travel. 'Course that assumes the hammer rail is parallel to keybed.
Hmmmmmmm.

Terry Farrell