Tuning Hammers....How Many?

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks@yahoo.com
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 07:04:07 -0700 (PDT)

I have my two!  My student hammer for emergencies and my Hale extension lever, and thanks to Joe's suggestion, several tip/head combinations as well.

Do you all keep most of your tool kits in your car, or do you carry them in at night, and just leave an emergency kit in the car?  Just wondering.

Matthew

Joe Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net> wrote:
I must be the odd one here.<G> (of course, I am.) I carry two Tuning Levers in my Tuning Kit.One, is a standard extension Hale tuning Lever, that I use for most jobs. With that I have several tip/head combinations. Also a light weight Ford Extension Lever, fitted with a Thin Wall Tip. I have Two in my Gorilla Kit. One is the Hale Speed Hammer for those REALLY Tight tuning pin beasts. The other is a Shortie for getting into really "tight" tuning situations, or just giving my clients a "giggle".<G> And I have a special kit, which I call my Antiques Kit, which has Seven different Tuning Levers/Hammers, all of which are special, authentic Antique Hammers with all kinds of weird tips/heads configurations. Lastly, I have my "converted" "Student Hammer", that is in my Stringing Kit. It is light and has many different one piece head/tip combinations. Oh, I forgot....I have a tool bag under the seat with a bare minimum for when I forget my Tuning Kit. Or I'm at a concert and the piano needs
 touching up and THE tuner is no where to be found. :-(
I guess that covers it.<G>
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police