A Kimball with a weird spring

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:19:48 EDT

Kimball studio upright, circa late '80s--at the height of the the "we  own
Boesdendorfer" hype.

Interesting piano.  Not great, but certainly better than many Kimballs  I've
seen from that era.  It has some similarities to Charles Walters...any
relation there?

Anyway, the Langer action has a weird spring attached at the catcher shank
that seems to contact the jack, but only on firm blows.  Can't quite figure
out the utility of that thing, other than to befuddle technicians.  It is
obviously some kind of jack rebound device, but its effectiveness seems
questionable.  Whaddya think?

Dave Stahl