Lacquering hammers

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:59:48 -0700 (PDT)

Richard -

Are you sure that the hammers don't just need needling to "open them up"?  What kind of hammers did you install?  If no voicing was done, I would certainly travel that route before dousing them with lacquer.

Mark Potter

Richard Day <pianotoone@hotmail.com> wrote:

Just installed new hammers and strings in a rather old baby grand in a church.  Obviously not even going to have best tone quality.  But pianist is complained that the tone doesn't ring.  I think the hammers are too soft.  Regulation, downbearing and strike point are all correct.  Am thinking of using the lacquer technique on the hammers.  Never done this.  Where on the hammer do you apply lacquer and how much.  Any tips from "experienced lacquerers" would be welcomed and thanks for taking the time.

Dick Day
Marshall MI