Lacquering hammers

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:26:21 -0500

Dick,
I guess this is a question of degree.  How much more do you want to
achieve?  Filing with high grit, 300+, can get you a little
more.  Treating with a little acetone tends to tighten things up and
get you a little more.  Ironing, on the wool setting, will get you
more but is also debated as to its benefits versus
drawbacks.  Play-in get's you there too and can be achieved with
Joe's jigsaw thumping method. I've been a little reticent (read
scared) to try that one yet.  Mind you those new strings are going to
need lots of tuning, so use a "bonker" and get them all played in a
little.  Also take your voicing tool, turn it over and tamp those
hammers, on a voicing tray of-course.
Wurzen front-rail punchings turned a brand-new chinese make I have
for-sell into a singing instrument (with other issues now made
obvious) much to my surprise.  Always worth an experiment. ;-)
Then there is the choice between ultra-blond shellac or lacquer.  The
shellac will tend to break up a little with play-in so it might be
easier to avoid overshooting long-term.  There may be a color
drawback to shellac, tends to shades of yellow.  Than there's lacquer
which usually should be significantly thinned .  You can, to some
extent, wash this down with thinner if you over-achieve.  I'll pass
of to the lacquer gurus for details and methodology.
For that plastic "ping" there's always that keytop solution.  Not
that I recommend it. :-D

Andrew