Lacquering hammers

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:02:25 -0400

Have we made a thorough inspection of soundboard crown, shape, and =
downbearing - front and back? A dead/deformed/sunken soundboard can =
easily be the main reason for "tone (that) doesn't ring".

Voicing hammers on a piano with a bad soundboard reminds me of the old =
saying "That's sorta like ??????? in the wind" - now how exactly did =
that go?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

---

    Just installed new hammers and strings in a rather old baby grand in =
a church.  Obviously not even going to have best tone quality.  But =
pianist is complained that the tone doesn't ring.  I think the hammers =
are too soft.  Regulation, downbearing and strike point are all correct. =
 Am thinking of using the lacquer technique on the hammers.  Never done =
this.  Where on the hammer do you apply lacquer and how much.  Any tips =
from "experienced lacquerers" would be welcomed and thanks for taking =
the time.

    Dick Day
    Marshall MI