Ok, This is weird

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:49:06 -0400

Dave,
         That's an interesting thought and a possible resolution to the=20
crisis but it doesn't answer if anything could or should be done with a=20
warped plate. I may go back to the call I had last night at my own expense=
=20
to see if the glide bolt adjustment will work. I don't mind eating a little=
=20
for my own education. I still wonder 1) could this have happened some time=
=20
after manufacture and 2) If not, why was this ever sold in the first place?

Greg

At 10:22 PM 9/16/2005, you wrote:
>Greg,
>
>I had this happen on a brand new BB Mason and Hamlin not so long ago.  I=20
>raised the glide bolts, and it slipped right out.  They'd been cranked WAY=
=20
>down, though I couldn't figure out why.  The keyframe was up about 1-16=20
>inch higher than it should have been.
>

>I hope this helps,
>
>Dave Stahl
>
>In a message dated 9/16/2005 4:14:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,=20
>gnewell@ameritech.net writes:
>Listees,
>          I've never encountered this before and now I've seen it twice in
>the same week. 2 pianos both from very different manufacturers and from
>different eras coming in to my neck of the woods from 2 entirely different
>climates and regions both have the same problem. I went to each of these
>customers homes and for one reason or another found it necessary to pull
>the action. (Sorry, both are grands). I found that the pin blocks were
>touching the center 2 octave action screws and it was impossible to pull
>the action as we normally due. I was able to pull off the stretcher on one
>of these and found to my surprise that the pin block was intact. No
>delaminations at all which is what I expected to find. Instead I found
>after fishing out one of my most important tools (string) that the plate
>was warped downward in the center by roughly 3/8" or 10 mm pushing the pin
>block into the action.
>          If any of you have ever run in to this problem especially in a
>rebuilding capacity, what if anything have you done about it? I know of no
>way to un warp cast iron so I suppose that's out of the question. Is the
>piano scrap now? Is it possible that the warp happened recently and did not
>exist at the time of manufacture?
>          FWIW, one of the pianos is a 70yr old (or there abouts) Henry F.
>Miller grand and the other is a 15-20 yr. old Schumann (Samick product).
>The first actually has some potential to be a fine instrument if it weren't
>for the warped plate. The second never was and never will be anything but a

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Fort=E9
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net=20