Squeeky damper tray

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:33:05 -0500

Subject: Re: Squeeky damper tray

> Thanks, Dean.  Do you remember how the damper tray was attached to the
> back action rail?  It looks like it can be removed without pulling the
> dampers.
>

> Paul C

Hi Paul,

I've run into the noise Dean mentions, and managed to tighten those
screws without pulling the dampers. The same should work to remove
and repin the flanges. Here's what I did. Pulled the screws holding
the tray flanges to the belly rail, pulled the damper upstop screws,
and taped the upstop rail up out of the way for some maneuvering
room, and pulled the screws from the damper guide rails too. This
disconnects the entire damper system from the piano. The tray will
then slide out and rotate enough to reach the screws underneath.
It's a pain, but fighting a dozen screws is still quicker and easier
than removing and having to readjust the dampers.

I recommend doing this without witnesses if you tend to editorialize
as you work on things you can't see and can barely reach.

Happy sc... uh... well, never mind.
Ron N

Thanks, Ron for the procedure and the sage advice. On some jobs I do tend to
"editorialize".

Paul C