Steinway K keybloacks / paint in grain

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:19:23 -0700

The screw is under the cheekblocks.  It is possible some case parts are=
 covering it underneath.  Keep looking in that area...also remove the k=
eyslip and make sure a screw isn't going through the side of the cheekb=
lock into the case.
David I.

Original message
From: "Peter Simc
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Steinway K keybloacks / paint in grain

Hi,

I'm a novice technician. I have recently acquired a Steinway Model K of=
 1905 vintage. I am currently stripping it of the thick and lovely coat=
 of green paint that some well-meaning soul slapped on it, presumably i=
n the 50's. I have several questions:

1. How are the keyblocks removed? There are no screws anywhere to be se=
en - neither below or on the side. The only possibilities I can see are=
 that a) they are glued on or b) they are attached by dowels and can be=
 removed only with the front rail removed. But these both seem extremel=
y unlikely.

2. I also can't figure out how to remove the legs. Sure, one removes th=
e screws at the top but then? There's no room to slide them out. I beli=
eve they are doweled into the toe block - perhaps one has to remove the=
 toe block.

This all seems contrary to the ease of dis-assembly I've found in my (p=
robably obviously very limited) experience with other pianos.

Also

3.  I wonder if anyone knows a magic trick to remove paint left over fr=
om the initial stripping that is embedded in the (mahogany) grain? I've=
 re-applied stripper and then steel-wooled and used a nylon brush, wipe=
d with solvent. Did the same with Formby's Furniture Restorer. Both hel=
ped but both left some still embedded  and both required serious effort=
. Perhaps that's as good as it gets and I just need to settle in for th=
e long haul, but - any suggestions?

4. I also have a 1883 Chickering upright. The case has some beautiful t=
racery on the front panels. I initially thought it was cut into the woo=
d - however it appears to be in the finish itself. The case needs to be=
 refinished and so the tracery would be lost (if I am correct about it =
being in the finish). Was this a common practice? Are there people who =
re-create this work?

Wow! Pretty wordy for a first post!

Thanks,

Peter Simcich