Steinway K keybloacks / paint in grain

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 01:43:47 -0700 (PDT)

Peter Simcich <smndustbin@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
2. I also can't figure out how to remove the legs. Sure, one removes the screws at the top but then? There's no room to slide them out. I believe they are doweled into the toe block - perhaps one has to remove the toe block.

I bet Avery gave you the answer on this one -  a screw coming from the under side, sometimes only accessible by removing the front caster.

3.  I wonder if anyone knows a magic trick to remove paint left over from the initial stripping that is embedded in the (mahogany) grain? I've re-applied stripper and then steel-wooled and used a nylon brush, wiped with solvent. Did the same with Formby's Furniture Restorer. Both helped but both left some still embedded  and both required serious effort. Perhaps that's as good as it gets and I just need to settle in for the long haul, but - any suggestions?

No magic tricks I know of, and it is likely that anything short of a working magic wand will completely eliminate the embedded paint.  Something you CAN try at this point is to apply fresh shellac to an affected area, let it cure for a half-day, then re-strip.  If you are VERY lucky, the shellac will have bitten into some paint flecks and brought them out with the re-stripping process.  Did I mention to keep all of your fingers and toes crossed?   If the severity of the problem isn't too bad, you can try painting all of the paint flecks with a very fine brush.  If you match the color of the wood tones well, you will have greatly minimized the problem.  I had very good luck with this method on a piano years ago that had flecks of white embedded in walnut veneer.  Tedious, but effective.

4. I also have a 1883 Chickering upright. The case has some beautiful tracery on the front panels. I initially thought it was cut into the wood - however it appears to be in the finish itself. The case needs to be refinished and so the tracery would be lost (if I am correct about it being in the finish). Was this a common practice? Are there people who re-create this work?

Find a graphic artist in your area, perhaps at a local university.  Don't strip it until the artist has seen it and taken pictures.

Mark Potter