Tuning a guitar using and Equal Temperament method

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 07:13:24 -0400

The one thing I have noticed with guitar tuning is the importance of the
condition of the frets, nut, and bridge adjustments(if any).

Using the SATll to help a guitar player set his intonation, I noticed
the 12th fret 'taking off' when the open string was dead-on. I asked
about the frets, and he said that they were due to be changed. A couple
of months later when he had new frets and a nut, we made some small
changes from where it was set from the repair person..very slightly
sharp starting at the 12th fret when fretted. He thought that would be
'out of tune', and I suggested that he try it and see.

He loves it.

Now..that being said, the guitar players on this list will, I'm sure,
guide me towards better intonation for the instrument. That has been my
experience to this point.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)