Impact hammers

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:25:48 -0400

That is correct Mike, you don't make any slow pull movements with the =
impact lever - every movement is an impact event. Like Dean Reyburn =
describes on his web page: http://www.reyburn.com/cyberhammer.html, most =
impact levers have too large a weight on the end to make small =
fine-tuning movements.=20

My impact lever is one that Dean would not like - it is from one of the =
supply houses and has the too-large-for-fine-tuning weight on the end. =
However, I find the large weight great for pitch raises on tight-pinned =
vertical pianos. I don't use my impact lever for pitch raises on pianos =
with non-tight pins (I would guess below 100 inch-pounds of torque) =
because you can spin the pins way too far way too easy. I also don't use =
my impact lever for any fine tuning - for one, I agree with Dean that =
the weight is just too massive, and also, I simply haven't mastered my =
technique with the impact lever yet (although maybe I have such a tough =
time because of the large weight!).

I use my traditional Renner/Bowman lever for pitch raising =
non-tight-pinned vertical pianos, pitch raising all grand pianos and all =
fine tuning - and like it quite a bit. Next convention I go to I will =
make a point of visiting Dean Reyburn and giving his fancy light-weight =
(relatively) impact levers a whirl in fine-tuning mode - I have little =
doubt I will be impressed with them.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

      Clue me in on impact hammers.  I used one on trial and was =
frustrated, finding it difficult to make fine back-and-forth movements =
in the pins.  Moving in one direction was fine, but to go back the other =
way I had to first take up the slack in the head to reverse direction.  =
Am I to understand that one doesn't make tiny, slow pull changes but =
instead uses the impact feature exclusively?  Otherwise it seemed that =
the wide movement of the handle was cumbersome and difficult to =
overcome.
      Mike Kurta