Accurate cutting strips of cloth for Damper backing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:33:17 -0400

"...it MUST have those red backs sandwiched between the damper felt and =
the hardwood damper heads!"

Why?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Gamble=20

  Thanks, Terry, for your suggestions. You're right! I didn't mention =
what type of piano. It's my S&S 'A' . So it's a grand - and it MUST have =
those red backs sandwiched between the damper felt and the hardwood =
damper heads! I'll bear your suggestions in mind for uprights though, =
Terry! Thanks for the photos!

  Regards

  Michael G.(UK)

  =20

-----

  From: Farrell [mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com]=20
  =20

  First of all, I have another question: why use backing felt/cloth at =
all? You don't state if your question refers to vertical or grand =
dampers. When I build vertical dampers, I felt the backs - you could do =
the other side the same way for felt/cloth backing material. I cut new =
wooden backs and simply glue the felt to the wood first, then cut the =
composite (felt + wood) on the bandsaw. If you are trying to do grand =
dampers, then this idea wouldn't work. But again, why use backing =
felt/cloth?

  =20

  =20