Impact LEVERS, was: Impact hammers

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:07:42 +0100

Yes, Joe, that is so. One end of the handle of the Harpsichord 'T' had a
stringing hook on and the other a "peen" for driving in those olde flat
tuning pins. If the pin was too loose you just gently removed it with a
wiggling motion and inserted a strip of linen tape in the hole before
driving the pin back in. Ah! Those were the days!

Regards

Michael G.(UK)

  _____

From: Joe And Penny Goss [mailto:imatunr@srvinet.com]
Sent: 18 September 2005 16:38
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Impact LEVERS, was: Impact hammers

Hi Terry,

I respectfully disagree, after 6 years of using the Mahaffee and getting
fair results, I went back to the old standard cigar lever. Then to a new
what I term a Grand T. And lastly to my # 101 on my site below.

Recently I have been working with lighter shafts than the 1/2" hex, and
while they are good, much prefer the extra weight of the 1/2" shaft.

Mighael G may be able to confirm the notion that the original levers were T
and could be used to tap the smaller pins on harpsichord in, thus a tuning
hammer.

Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com