Impact LEVERS, was: Impact hammers

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:58:24 -0600

Oh yes I remember why I moved the hammer. It was to get a more controled =
use of the weight the instant of impact. And in using the impact hammer =
on large pitch raises, the weight would end up at=20
4:00 at times which was uncomfortable for me to work with.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2005 10:11 AM
  Subject: Re: Impact LEVERS, was: Impact hammers

  Hey Joe - You don't need to re-set an impact lever on a pin for any =
reason. You simply put it on the pin in a favorable position much like =
you do with a traditional lever. If you find yourself removing and =
re-setting the impact lever on tuning pins, I would suggest that you =
simply haven't figured out where to position it in the first place!  :-)

  What is your "knob hammer"? I presume this is some type of tuning =
LEVER? Is it some type of impact lever or a traditional lever? Assuming =
it is some type of traditional lever, please be aware that no one that I =
know of is trying to argue that an impact lever is "better" than a =
traditional lever. There are advantages and disadvantages to each and =
some will always prefer one over the other. Both can be used, with =
training, to produce a well-tuned, stable piano.

  The one thing that I do say is that if you have been using a =
traditional lever and have arm and/or shoulder pain related to =
tight-pinned pianos, an impact lever can offer you relief from the pain =
and let your body heal.

  BTW: Where on earth did the term tuning hammer ever come from? These =
levers that we all use to tune pianos with look a lot more to me like =
tuning LEVERS!

  Terry Farrell
    ----- Original Message -----=20

    That is exactly why I quit using the impact tool. It was so slow in =
that one needed to re-set the hammer on the pin to get the impact at the =
correct spot for fine adjustments. With my knob hammer it is only =
necessary to loosen the grip on the pin a tad to get more movement.
    Usually one just bumps the knob to relax the pin If you have not =
raised the pitch too far. And if too far a click down and right back up.
    Wierd but it seems that once the pin has been moved up a click and =
down a click, one can make smaller clicks of the pin back up again.
    Joe Goss RPT
      ----- Original Message -----=20

          Clue me in on impact hammers.  I used one on trial and was =
frustrated, finding it difficult to make fine back-and-forth movements =
in the pins.  Moving in one direction was fine, but to go back the other =
way I had to first take up the slack in the head to reverse direction.  =
Am I to understand that one doesn't make tiny, slow pull changes but =
instead uses the impact feature exclusively?  Otherwise it seemed that =
the wide movement of the handle was cumbersome and difficult to =
overcome.
          Mike Kurta