Steinway

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:16:52 +0100

Hello back, Jurgen. Comments below:-)

  _____

Hello Jurgen and List - just to let you all know the latest in the damper
configuration exercise for my S&S 'A'.

Jurgen said:
>So it was difficult to persuade Steinway to sell you a set of damper
felts??

No.

Re: those Steinway damper felts I phoned them on Monday last and was told
they come direct from Hamburg. They arrived on Friday (day before yesterday)
in that big box like a super-oversize match box.

>Well, at least the service was quick.

Yes.

They came unannounced and with no bill attached. That'll probably arrive in
the post tomorrow.

It didn't.

>I hope they won't cost you an arm and a leg.

I will!

As for the change from Split/Split to Split/Pad there is no indication by
the way the box is packed or the number of dampers therein. The Bass Clips
are in accord and the Bass Wedge likewise - but when it comes to the Splits
and Pads, by the looks of the contents of that box they're all either
Split/Split or Pad/Pad and I know that wasn't so when I stripped them down
and made the pencil marks on the sides of the heads - which have
subsequently become erased... I'll do a little counting tomorrow and tally
up the Splits and Pads with the number of damper heads available - to see
what gives here. Anyway my understanding of the layout is backed by Max
Matthias in his book Steinway Service Manual, Diagram 7.1 which shows this
juxtapositioning of those Split/Pad - however that book is a general
compendium of all S&S models and not particular in the damper arrangement.
With string dimensions it is particular to each model and his Tables show
all grands separately.

>I agree, I can't find the answer to your query there, either. I hope
someone with an A will pipe up and tell you what the configuration is on
theirs.

I, however, used my noddle and looked at an 'A' we have in the Old Greenroom
at Glyndebourne. There I found all the answers:

Like mine it is a 20Bass+5Bicord at the start of the tenor break. So notes 1
- 25 are taken care of.

The next 8 notes are Split/Split - that is notes 26 - 33

The next 4 notes are Pad/Split - that is notes 34 - 37 (the Pad is always on
the Keyboard end of the damper head)

Thereafter it is Pad/Pad all the way until you run out of damper heads.

The set Steinway sent are:

Clip/Clip 1 - 8

Wedge/Wedge 9 -> 19

Long Wedge 20

Wedge/Wedge 21 -> 25

Split/Split 26 - 41

That's the first double row which ends with a thick rectangular piece of
what looks like Wurzen touch felt..There must be a purpose for this piece
other than packing?

Then follows the Pads which, for packing purposes, have been placed Long ->
Short paired up with Short -> Long. So you select one from each end to pair
up. That's OK but I've merely to get my brain-cell round the Pad/Split
pairing without robbing the Pad/Pad unduly. Straight forward I suppose when
I get round to thinking of it

Thanks for your interest Jurgen
Michael