Michael G's New precision felt and cloth cutting jig

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:14:04 -0700

Ah Newcastle beer...or at least what we can get in the states...we like=
 it cold over here and don't use the coals.
David I.

Original message
From: Byeway222@aol.com
To: pianotech@pt
Subject: Re: Michael G's New precision felt and cloth cutting jig

Hi Michael,
You really do deserve full marks for enthusiasm and application, but I =
honestly  do think that your are "taking coals to Newcastle"  with this=
 felt cutting business.  In most good workshops and apprentice training=
 the cutting of cloth and felt in straight lines with a basic straighte=
dge is a fundamental requirement for embarking on good quality piano wo=
rk.  Over the years new tools and materials have come along which can m=
ake some jobs easier.  I think that the Spurlock cutting block for angl=
ed cuts on damper felt is super, but for basic cutting of cloth and and=
 thin felt, the thin steel straightedge with sandpaper on one side is s=
o easy and straightforward.  As I said in an earlier post I personally =
like to use scalpels for some of this fine cutting.  Also with some dam=
per felt applications, straightedge trimming of the backing material to=
 the white felt itself gives you a far better finish than trying to rep=
licate the width of the backing to the damper felt.

Ric