B 458198 - string deflections - DOUBLE POSTING PROTOCOL

Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:37:04 -0400

It was inevitable.   Maybe it's occurred before and I haven't caught
it.  My history communicating with Ron hasn't been stellar, and I could see
it coming down the pike again.  Fortunately, it occurred to me to check
whether what I thought could not happen, in fact, had.  It had.  Kent
double posted the topic regarding B 458198 to both pianotech AND Caut...a
reasonable measure when trying to engage the distinct constituencies of
each list, though a bit of a bother for those subscribed to both.  Using
Eudora, I filter my mail so that each is directed to its own mailbox.  I
have seen such double postings develop differently in the past.  This time,
there was a leak, a breech, if you will.  RonN  (mind you, I'm not playing
the blame game here), posting on Pianotech, responded to information (the
restringing and use of CA on the pins) that Kent had only mentioned in a
resopnse  on CAUT!  My impression from seeing only the Pianotech
discussion, and thus my responses, were that RonN was making unfounded
assumptions about the piano's history that had never been stated.  If I
were not subscribed to both lists, or had not thought to check, our
exchanges would have probably continued on their ignoble, downward spiral.

So, what's my point.  In the past, I have tried to make clear and apologize
in advance for such double posting, recognizing the annoyance it can cause
those who subscribe to both.  It seems that, perhaps it should be the
responsibility of both the original poster, as well as the responder, that
any cross-list references are made clear.

So as not to hijack the original posting subject, I'll not include any
discussion of the technical substance in this post.  Anyway, I'm glad we
cleared that up.

Peace (in honor of our temporarily absent data-cruncher),

David Skolnik