B 458198, string deflections

Thu, 22 Sep 2005 04:00:50 -0400

Well, OK. Ron says that because CA was already used (information supplied
by Kent on the CAUT version of this topic), epoxy would not, in my words,
"address the problem".  So, questions -

Is epoxy a no-go because it won't set up in the presence of CA?  Is it
redundant? Does CA achieve the same hardness as epoxy?  If the rear pin is
not migrating, and the cracks are not widening, there will be no effect
upon tone or tuning.  Under such circumstances, the remaining question is
whether there is some, or enough inequality in the net side bearing to
generate the sorts of conditions Ron suggested:
>The strings are trying to pull the bridge left. I'd be looking for concave
>crown and a killer killer octave pretty quickly, maybe as soon as a couple
>of months if the climate control lets the RH get below 35%.

In any case, Kent, can you actually provide some angle measurements for the
side bearing?

David Skolnik