Weird Pitch Drop

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:50:20 -0500

Reinstalled a newly capped and repaired--cantilevered on an apron--bass bridge today on a Solomon (? Chinese) upright.

After replacing the bass strings, I brought them up to roughly to pitch and tuned them to pitch twice. The rest of the piano was then very close to pitch, so I tuned on up, maybe 2 to 5 cents per string.

Then  I rechecked the bass and found it had dropped a fairly even 10 cents. Retuned and all is well. BUT ... I panicked a little, thinking the bridge had lifted or rolled or otherwise failed somehow. But no, everything looks fine, no separation or anything.

Does that seem weird? Common? Normal? or what?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri