Case of Disappearing Sound

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:39:54 -0700

lubed the damper return spring
David I.

Original message
From: "Alan Barnard"
To: Pianotech
Subject: Case of Disappearing Sound

This is the first time I've seen this; it may be instructive for somebo=
dy ...

Bichord bass note (that's a clue) on an upright piano (Ding, ding, ding=
, another clue) played just swell on a firm blow, but on a soft blow it=
 made almost no sound at all, just disappeared into nothingness.

Major clue: Fixed it with a drop of liquid on the end of the the long s=
kinny screwdriver I carry for removing damper heads and such.

Lieutenant Colonal Clue: There was nothing wrong or badly regulated wit=
h the key, capstan, wippen, jack, butt, hammer, or anything associated =
with those items, such as bridle strap, etc.

Obfuscating Field Marshall Clue: When the note played properly, i.e., o=
n a firm-ish blow, the damper lifted, seated, and damped beautifully, n=
o problems.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri