CA Observation: Food for Thought

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:33:50 -0500

I tilted and thoroughly soaked an 1890 piano a while back. When I started tuning, the bass strings--which sounded amazingly okay--nevertheless started breaking: POW!

So we agreed to replace the wound strings. In removing the old strings, I had to remove the pins because the wire was fused (rusted?) in the becket holes on many of them.

Anyway, there were crusty clumps of CA (or something) on the old pins that I couldn't even chip off without major effort. If this happens routinely, then the pins are turning with the equivalent of heavy-grit sandpaper scraping the wood!

Seems like an argument for following Susan's advice and going on the light side.

This could use further study, methinks, or at least reporting here on incidental observations. I won't stop dousing pianos because I've seen some amazing results in saving otherwise dead blocks, but we may be fooling ourselves, a little, on the long term results.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri