Key Clamps

hubert liverman hubertliverman@bellsouth.net
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:47:27 -0500

Matthew,

 Key surface preparation and 'tack time' are important. I generaly lay =
glue to 5 or 6 prepaired keys..test the first one,seat keytop and adjust =
the timing from there. Lay glue to the next sequence and move the first =
5 or 6 keys aside (in order) it goes quickly once you get the timing =
right. Reread Jeannies post (if i may call her by her first name) our =
technique may vary slightly,however follow her sage advice.

Hubert

  Maybe I am not waiting for the glue to dry a little before attaching =
the top.  I will try that!

  Thank you,
  Matthew

  Jeannie Grassi <jcgrassi@earthlink.net> wrote:
    Matthew,

    The beauty of PVC-E is not having to clamp.  I have been doing =
keytops with it for many years and never had a problem.  You may have =
told us this already, but I'll ask again, how are you preparing the key =
surface?  If it isn't planed smoothly, you might have problems.  Also, =
sometimes it is necessary to apply a preliminary sealer coat of glue to =
the key and then a second coat for gluing.  Wait for it to dry a little =
and slide the keytop on, applying a little pressure.  Hold it for a few =
seconds and then set it aside.  I think the problem is not the glue, but =
perhaps your method.  Keep experimenting.  Like most things in this =
business, practice makes perfect.  Very seldom are we successful on the =
first few attempts.

    jeannie

    Jeannie Grassi, RPT

    Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal

    mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net

---