CA Lesson learned.....

Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:24:20 +0100

Thanks for that tip in time Mike!

MG(UK)

  _____

From: Mike Kurta [mailto:mkurta@adelphia.net]
Sent: 22 September 2005 23:59
To: Pianotech; Rodney Gorzka; Paul Simkin; Paul Kupelian; Nick Smith; Mike
Kurta; Michelle Stranges; Loren Miller; Ken Williams; John Harrington; Joel
Levine; Joe Karwacki; Gary Sylvester; Fred Scoles; Ed Mastin; Bob Lee; Art
Smith; Al Grenning; Tom Moonan
Subject: Lesson learned.....

    I made a boo-boo today and I'm posting this so no one else should make
the same mistake.

    1.  Tilted a small spinet on its back for CA glue application to the
loose pins.

     2.  Applied CA without incident.  A second application followed as most
were soaked up by the pin bushings.

    3.  Righted piano and began tuning, here's where it gets good.....

    4.  Found several dampers frozen to strings, and several strings sound
dead with no sustain.

    5.  Finally realize that not all the CA was absorbed into the pinblock,
but enough stayed on the surface to run down the strings when I tilted the
piano back up to normal, coating the strings and soaking into the dampers.

    6.  Going back Monday to fix it.   The lesson here:  Check to see how
much liquid is still sitting on the plate before uprighting the piano.

    DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU !!

    Mike Kurta