Lesson learned.....

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:16:16 -0500

>>You just told us that you can usually keep a piano going for 8 years
no problem,
even without the CA ... <<

Actually, I didn't say I could do it with no problem. I could do it but
often it was a huge problem. CA helps to make it no problem.

>>Consider the cost to me that it took to develop the expertise to do
this job.

Okay, I will. What costs? Your computer time? I certainly paid nothing
learn this job, except some extra time for that first Zimmerman, to do
the work more laboriously than necessary. Did you travel to a distant
convention, or pay somebody a bundle to teach you to put CA glue on
pinblocks? >>

Let's see, I spent many hours learning the craft, many hours and dollars
practicing and correcting mistakes. I spent many years using CA glue in
other applications learning its idiosyncrasies particularly how wood
responds to it. I spend an annual fee to the PTG. I took the time to
attend meetings and network with other techs. I took the time to attend
seminars. And yes, I take time here at the computer culling these posts
for nuggets. Those are all real costs.

>>Consider how much money I am saving the customer.

I'm afraid I'm more likely to consider the money you are taking
from your customer. If you can keep the piano playable and tunable
for pennies and minutes per tuning, what are they paying the $250 for?

I could get a job at Wal-Mart for $5 per hour as well. How can I sleep
at night charging $85 for a tuning? How can David Love charge $150?
(Sorry to bring you into this, David. I certainly in no way begrudge you
your rates. You earn every penny) What do you charge for a tuning,
Susan, and how can you justify that knowing that comparatively most of
the world only makes pennies on the dollar on a per hour basis?

>>Consider that everyone of these jobs that I've sold my customers have
been very happy to pay such an amount for all of those benefits.

Would they still be happy if they knew you how little it cost you to do
it? Have you really thought through whether your fees should reflect
whatever you can get, versus whether they should be based on how much
effort and expense you have to shell out? If they spend money on their
pianos which they didn't need to spend, they don't have it for
everything else. >>

Well, they watch real close. They see me tip the piano, they see my get
out a little bottle of glue, they look at how it is applied and they
watch the clock. I don't do any trickery, no incantations, nothing up
the sleeve. If they can't figure out my actual costs in a ballpark range
I should be charging them triple. They aren't paying for the actual
costs and they know it. They are paying for my expertise and the peace
of mind of an 8 year warranty. Less than $30 a year is making their
piano usable where it previously wasn't. I am giving my customers a
warranty. You aren't. Tell me who is giving their customer a better
value?

>>Just my take on it -- we all have to figure out business ethics for
ourselves. <<

I have no problem defending my charges. In fact I appreciate the
challenge. But here is where it gets a little dicey. You have been
pretty strongly implying that I am unethical in my charges.

I consider myself a professional. I have 25 years experience and a
degree in mechanical engineering. I have a strong base of satisfied
customers who trust me with the care of their piano. I am not the
cheapest tuner in the area and most of them know it. In fact, I always
try to be the most expensive tuner in the area. If people don't want to
pay my rates they are free to use someone else and I've even given out
the names and numbers of my competitors to such people.

My newest car is 7 years old. I live in a 100 year old house. I am not
materially rich- I have too many kids. ;-) But maybe someday I'll be
able to get $300/minute like the proctologist. Better yet, I'll just be
happy with the real wealth that I do have.

Blessings,

Dean