Lesson learned.....

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:27:10 -0700

Dean, it seems to me that you're on very shaky ground with this pricing.

Consider the risk I am taking by extending the warranty.

You just told us that you can usually keep a piano going for 8 years no
problem,
even without the CA ...

Consider the cost to me that it took to develop the expertise to do this job.

Okay, I will. What costs? Your computer time? I certainly paid nothing to
learn this job, except some extra time for that first Zimmerman, to do
the work more laboriously than necessary. Did you travel to a distant
convention, or pay somebody a bundle to teach you to put CA glue on
pinblocks?

Consider how much money I am saving the customer.

I'm afraid I'm more likely to consider the money you are taking
from your customer. If you can keep the piano playable and tunable
for pennies and minutes per tuning, what are they paying the $250 for?

Consider I am taking an essentially worthless piano and breathing new life
into it.

Yeah, I like doing that, particularly at almost no cost to myself.
If it can be cheaply restored to usefulness, is it still a worthless
piano?

Consider that everyone of these jobs that I've sold my customers have been
very happy to pay such an amount for all of those benefits.

Would they still be happy if they knew you how little it cost you to do it?
Have you really thought through whether your fees should reflect whatever
you can get, versus whether they should be based on how much effort and
expense you have to shell out? If they spend money on their pianos which
they didn't need to spend, they don't have it for everything else.

Just my take on it -- we all have to figure out business ethics for
ourselves. Also, the job is so new that we haven't explored the long-term
results of various ways of doing it. As a little example -- cast your mind
back to about 1955 or so, when the Lester plastic elbows started failing.
To replace two broken elbows back then required pulling out the spinet
action, removing the individual wippens, and then providing new (probably
wooden) elbows, pinning them on, and replacing the action. Big deal, big
fuss, and no doubt big fee. Then the Vagias elbows came out -- one could
suddenly pull off the kickboard, crunch the old elbows (gingerly) away from
the center pins, turn the wires into the new ones, and pop them on. Less
than 5% of the fuss and work of the old way. How would you feel if somebody
knew about the new procedure but didn't tell you, used it on your piano,
and charged you the old fee?

We're still pricing pinblock work as if we were using the old glycerin
(misnamed) pin "tightener." We're not. We don't have to do it that way, but
we still are using the same procedure, only we substitute the CA glue for
the glycerin and alcohol. I don't think it's appropriate, or that the labor
and fee are justified.

JMO, as usual --

Best,
Susan