Lesson learned.....

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:34:57 -0500

Susan wrote: I'm sure you are, and no doubt you are sincere. However, a
$250 job
which takes 30 minutes? So, do you usually charge $486 an hour?
(allowing
for the $7 cost of materials) Do you consider this a good use of your
customer's money?

I spend 15 minutes or so selling the job, so really I'm only making
$330/hr. assuming I get no callbacks and have to spend no additional
time nursing it through the 8 year warranty. But really I'd like to get
it up in the neighborhood of what a proctologist makes which is about
$300/minute.

Consider the risk I am taking by extending the warranty. Consider the
cost to me that it took to develop the expertise to do this job.
Consider how much money I am saving the customer. Consider I am taking
an essentially worthless piano and breathing new life into it. Consider
that I am buying peace of mind for my customer for another 8 years.
Consider that everyone of these jobs that I've sold my customers have
been very happy to pay such an amount for all of those benefits. I feel
pretty good about it. 8-)

Pushing 50 harder every day and still not rich (by this world's goods),

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802