Knabe cracked plate

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:50:52 -0600

David,
    Without examining your particular piano, I can still suggest
reinforcing bars, or struts. We've seen repaired plates fail right at the
"end" of a layered strut. We kick ourselves for making the strut short, and
fix it again. Once there's enough strut to reinforce a whole section of
original plate strut, then the breakage stops. Sandwiching the plate is
good, also. Making sure that the plate is evenly heated when welding seems
to be important, also. So far, so good, with almost too many to count. Our
"outside" welder does a lot of engine blocks, and knows his iron.

Good luck,
Guy Nichols