soundboard clamps

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 09:56:23 -0300

It is the screw used to put up drywall.
Make sure to get the one with the coarse thread, as the fine threaded screw tends to strip the hole, rather than pulling the soundboard, back to the rib.
Just looks like a screw, with the thread right up to the head, and they are usually black.
Available at hardware stores, and building centres.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: richard.ucci@att.net
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 9:21 AM
  Subject: Re: soundboard clamps

  John, What kind of screw? Can I get it at local hardware or Home Depot? Whatz it look like?

    -------------- Original message from John Ross <jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca>: --------------

    Cheap fix.
    Is drill a hole through the rib so that a coarse thread gyprok screw will be free.
    Then run glue between rib and soundboard, put in the screw, it has an aggressive point, and grabs the soundboard, pulling it back to the rib.
    Let dry, remove screw, and drill through the board and install a dowel, if you want to be neat.
    I think I used the Scaff clamps years ago, but I found the above method better.
    John M. Ross
    Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
    jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca