Tuning Pin Preferences

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:18:33 +0200

Hi Jurgen.

I would suggest getting 6.90, 7.00, 7.10, and 7,25 mm Ø's and in 60 mm
lengths.  I would also suggest getting only nickle plated if you have to
get an initial ordering and want to hedge your bet.  Blues may appeal to
some techs eyesight... but customers never have any opinions along those
lines.  Blues will corrode before nickleplated almost every time.  I
simply cannot buy any argumentation that states that one <<feels>>
better then another when tuning.  Good quality and accuratly turned pins
will feel just fine regardless of colour/coating.  You will find I think
more who will refuse to use blues then those who will refuse to use
<<shiny>>.

Course if you can afford a selection then get both nickleplated and
blues, and expand then perhaps expand on  your sizes.   Bigger then
725's and you are into repair jobs that really probably are better off
not being done at all, or should be accomplished by replacing the pin
block... Not often anyone needs/wants anything bigger. Heck I cant
remember the last time I even banged anything larger then a 7.00 in.

Just my take... but then we dont have the drop action spinet type toy
pianos over here, let alone try and keep them up and running.  Petrofs
are bad enough ! :)

Cheers
RicB