Grotrian Steinwegs - to list or not to list?

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:10:56 +0200

The length of the backscale, plus the other unmuted non singing lengths,
plus the fact that the entire backscale of these instruments is unmuted
yeilds a very predominant sizzle sound into the entire sound mix. Not my
favorite sound personally. Sort of sound like one of those rivetet
cymbals. Otherwise I've always found Grotrians to be lacking something
I've never really been able to put my finger on.  Nicely made
instruments I suppose, but nothing there that grabs you and moves the
earth under your feet.

jmt
RicB

That is indeed "the question" Whether 'tis required in the back-scale of my
S&S 'A' or not. The photos attached shew some interesting aspects of this
very nice Grotrian. The wrest pins are nickle plated, the "aliquot" bar is
continuous - unlike the S&S where it is "stepped"-per-note and the lack of
Listing Cloth in the back scale - except for the covered string back-scale.
Any helpful comments out there?
Regards
Michael G.(UK)