Grotrian Steinwegs - to list or not to list?

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 07:32:24 -0700

A predominant "sizzle" sound like cymbals with rivets???  I don't think so.
Such a sound would be wholly unacceptable and I've never heard anything like
that from a Grotrian or any other similarly designed piano.  Length of the
backscale or lack of cloth in the backscale or in other non speaking areas
will not yield any sizzle sound or sound of riveted cymbals.  If you hear
that I would look for something else, like a loose piece of wire resting on
a string.  If you get a bit too much overring of sympathetics for your
liking, then weave some cloth into the offending areas.  Test for that by
striking some staccato chords in various areas of the piano and listening
for a bit of after echo.  How much is desirable is a matter of taste.  Some
people like a very dry and complete shutoff, some don't. After restringing I
often don't put any cloth in until it's evident that the piano needs it,
unless I want the look of it.  The areas where you are most likely to need
it will be the bass and the low end of the tenor on some pianos.  Rarely do
I find the cloth necessary in the aliquot area of a Steinway.  Most people
insert the cloth more out of habit than need.