Grotrian Steinwegs - to list or not to list?

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:21:32 +0100

Yes, David, I agree with you as well. I said to RicB I would try a temporary
insertion of cloth (that is on the bass covereds only) and see what it
sounds like. I'll leave it for a bit until I feel one way or another. I
think S&S went a bit overboard - rather like Yamaha - in listing up to about
middle 'C' on my 'A'. It could be that I should wait until I get Andre's
Wurzen hammers fitted. But as I haven't even ordered them yet...

Regards

Michael G.(UK)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Love [mailto:davidlovepianos@comcast.net]
Sent: 25 September 2005 14:32
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: Grotrian Steinwegs - to list or not to list?

A predominant "sizzle" sound like cymbals with rivets???  I don't think so.

Such a sound would be wholly unacceptable and I've never heard anything like

that from a Grotrian or any other similarly designed piano.  Length of the

backscale or lack of cloth in the backscale or in other non speaking areas

will not yield any sizzle sound or sound of riveted cymbals.  If you hear

that I would look for something else, like a loose piece of wire resting on

a string.  If you get a bit too much overring of sympathetics for your

liking, then weave some cloth into the offending areas.  Test for that by

striking some staccato chords in various areas of the piano and listening

for a bit of after echo.  How much is desirable is a matter of taste.  Some

people like a very dry and complete shutoff, some don't. After restringing I

often don't put any cloth in until it's evident that the piano needs it,

unless I want the look of it.  The areas where you are most likely to need

it will be the bass and the low end of the tenor on some pianos.  Rarely do

I find the cloth necessary in the aliquot area of a Steinway.  Most people

insert the cloth more out of habit than need.

David Love

davidlovepianos@comcast.net