puzzlement

Ed Carwithen ecarwithen@yahoo.com
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:46:40 -0700 (PDT)

The problem is a very prominent ring in all registers but particularly in the low.  The piano is an Everett console, #260365.  Fairly recent with metal support beams instead of wood in the back.  After playing a note or chord the dampers cut off the tone, but there is a strong after ring which can persist for seven to ten seconds.  The dampers are good and are sitting properly on the strings.  When the strings behind the dampers are pressed the dampers follow.  You can hear the actual tone of the struck note cut off when the damper recontacts the string, but the echo tone continues.

The piano has metal casters sitting on a wood floor in front of a sheet rock wall.  It occurred to me that the casters were transferring the vibrations to the floor directly causing the floor to act as a general resonator.  I tried rubber furniture cups under the wheels and also a heavy rug with a rubber backing as well as the rubber cups on top of the rug.  There was no improvement.  I tried blankets in back with no improvement.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things that might improve this situation by diminishing the after ring??

Ed Carwithen
John Day, OR