Repair and Tuning of Estey Baby Grand

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:46:10 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/2005 6:44:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rfinley@rcn.com writes:

I have been asked to tune someone's Estey baby  grand piano. The owner told
me that one of the notes on the piano doesn't  work, but I have absolutely no
information about the problem,  and will have to wait until I see and inspect
the piano. I assume I  will have to fix the problem before I start the tuning,
but wonder how I  should approach this.

I presume I will take the action out,  compare the action of the faulty note
with its neighbor's, and diagnose and  fix the problem. I am not sure what
supplies and parts I should bring along in  order to repair the note.

Robert,

You won't know if it's a regulation problem or something broken until you
get there.  Even then, lack of experience may make it difficult to  diagnose.

IT could be any number of things.  Some you may be able to fix, some  not.
See if you can get a copy of Art Reblitz's book on tuning, repair,  and
rebuilding before your appointment.

If it's something you feel you can't handle, no shame in admitting it and
calling for reinforcements.

For sure, you'll need screwdrivers, probably glue, possibly a small clamp  of
some sort, and maybe a few tools you don't have yet.

Good luck!

Dave Stahl

There could be dozens of reasons why the  note doesn't work, involving any of
dozens of parts. Maybe there will be  a broken part that cannot be repaired,
and a new one has to be ordered (if it  is even possible to get replacement
parts for this brand of piano or something  close), so the problem couldn't be
fixed there and then. Please could you  advise me how I should deal with this
problem so that I can keep the customer  satisfied and happy? Thank you very
much.

Robert Finley