Repair and Tuning of Estey Baby Grand

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:28:40 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/05 8:44:08 PM, rfinley@rcn.com writes:

> Maybe there will be a broken part that cannot be repaired, and a new one
> has to be ordered (if it is even possible to get replacement parts

Chances are, if something is actually broken,   it's a jack, hammer shank, or
key.   The key or the jack can be glued back together, and there are
'universal' shanks that will undoubtedly fit the broken shank.   I'm not familiar with
Estey, but I suspect that new replacement parts could be ordered if
necessary.

More likely, however, is that something merely needs adjusting.   Perhaps a
damper wire has come loose and the damper won't lift when the key is struck
making the note 'dead'.   Or the backcheck is holding the hammer tail in place
and won't allow it to ascend to the string.

The lesson to be learned here, though, is to get as much information as you
can.   I always ask,   "Does the key stay in the down position?"   If it does,
it could be a coin stuck between that key and its neighbor, or a broken
plastic elbow if it's a spinet.   "Does it play the first time but then won't
repeat?"   Could be sluggish action centers and a little CLP will solve the problem.
  It gives me a little head start on what to expect when I get there---and
how much time to allow for the repair.

Sometimes you can diagnose the problem right over the phone!   Just
yesterday, I got a call from a woman who wanted her piano tuned, and also, there were
four or five notes that were 'broken' on her console piano.   I asked her, "Are
they all in a row, next to each other?"   She answered "Yes".   I told her it
was probably a pencil stuck in there.   She said, incredulously, like I must
be stupid, "A pencil?"   I told her, "You'd be surprised how often pencils
find their way into pianos."   She looked inside right then while she was still
on the phone, and said, "I don't see anything....wait, I feel it!"   She pulled
out the pencil and said, "Oh, you're good!"

So many people let their piano go untuned for years until something 'breaks'.
  Luckily, she's going to have me over to tune the piano anyway, even though
it now works fine.

Tom Sivak
Chicago

P.S.

I guess I spent years learning this kind of stuff and should charge her $250
for that over-the-phone repair, eh?   I could even guarantee the repair for 8
years to rationalize my charging her for it!   (Sorry...sometimes I just can't
stop myself...)